Monday, November 21, 2011

Easing Into Walgreens!


Even as an experienced coupon shopper, I get a bit flustered at Walgreens.  There are a couple tricks to shopping there.  Here are some simple transactions I just did that use these tricks that keep it easy and I will explain the tricks at the end of this post!

Transaction #1

2 Crest Complete Toothpastes, on sale 3/$9.00
tax = $.78
Subtotal = $.9.78
- $6.00 ($2.00 x 2 MFs from the 9/11 SS)
= $3.78

Got back a $3.00 Register Reward!

Transaction #2


2 Schick Quattro Trimmer @ $.8.99
1 Solid Air Freshener @ $.25 (filler)*
tax = $.80
Subtotal = $10.04

- $2.00 Schick Quattro MF from the 10/30 SS
- $2.00 Wags store coupon from the Make this Season Stunning Booklet
- $3.00 Register Reward from Transaction #1
Total = $3.04

**Got back a $4.00 Register Reward for buying the the Schick Trimmer.

Transaction #3


2 Children's Advil @ $4.99 each = $9.98
1 Solid Air Freshener @ $.25 (filler)*
Tax = $.89
Subtotal = $11.12

- $2.20 ($1.10 x 2) Advil Printable coupons
- $4.00 ($2.00 x 2) Wags store coupon from the Infant Care Booklet
-** $4.00 Register Reward from transaction #2
= $.92 cents

Got back a $3.00 Register Reward for purchasing 2 Advil.

Transaction #4



1 Schick Quatro Trimmer @ $8.99
1 Infusium Hair Conditioner @ $4.99

1 Solid Air Freshener @ $.25 (Filler)*
Tax = $1.15
Subtotal = $15.83

- $2.00 Schick Quatro MF from the 10/30 SS
- $2.00 Wags store coupon from the Make this Season Stunning Booklet
- $1.00 Infusium MF from the 11/20 SS
- $1.00 Wags store coupon from the Make this Season Stunning Booklet
- **$3.00 Register Reward from Transaction #3
= $6.38

Got back a $4.00 Register Reward for buying the Schick and a $2.00 Register Reward for buying the Infusium.

My total cash OOP for all 4 transactions was $14.10, and I have $6.00 in Register Rewards for my next trip.

Tricks to shopping at Walgreens.....

Walgreens system requires that you have as many items as you have coupons, hence the * Filler.  In each of the transactions that included the filler, I already had as many coupons as I had items, so I needed the filler in order to use the Register Reward.  The Wags I was at had those Solid Air Fresheners clearanced for $.25 cents, so I used those.

**Register Rewards
Register Rewards  (aka RRs) are coupons that print out at the cash register when you purchase a certain item or a certain number of items.  RRs are probably the trickiest part of the cash out process because they very rarely "roll".  What this means exactly is, if you purchase an item that has a RR, and then try to use that RR to purchase the same item, you will not receive another RR!  So you have to switch it up a bit, like I did:

Transaction #1 generated a $3.00 Crest RR, which I used on transaction #2.

Transaction #2 generated a $4.00 Schick RR, which I used on transaction #3.

Transaction #3 generated a $3.00 Advil RR, which I used on transaction #4.

Transaction #4 generated another $4.00 Schick RR, which I would NOT have received if I skipped transaction #3!!

For me, keeping the transactions small and simple is the easiest way to save at Walgreens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment